The Teacher in Residence Award funds a period of experiential training by bringing the recipient to the United States to work in the educational environment of the Bridge School. The duration of the training is negotiated with the recipient and can encompass from 5 to 10 months of residency. The award encompasses costs related to the residency handled either directly by the Bridge School and or through provision of a monthly stipend of $1,500.00 provided directly to the resident. The following summarizes anticipated expenses:
Basic expenses paid directly by The Bridge School
- Airline travel: The Bridge School will purchase roundtrip tickets from the resident’s home country to San Francisco to begin the residency and to return following completion.
- Rent/housing costs: The Bridge School will arrange for lodging during the duration of the residency and will pay the rental cost and utilities such as gas, electricity, and water.
- Basic monthly phone: The Bridge School will supply the resident with a cellular mobile phone and cell phone service to be used for local calls.
- Local transportation: Transportation costs to and from the Bridge School for regular work days will be handled by the school.
- Basic emergency or urgent care health/medical coverage: The Bridge School will purchase major health and medical coverage insurance for serious illness or injury for the resident for the duration of their stay.
- Stipend: During the Teacher in Residence experience, the resident will be provided a monthly stipend of US $1,500.00 to defray the personal costs of the resident.
- Conference/University Expenses: The Bridge School will pay for travel, registration, hotel and per diem for selected professional conferences and for University registration fees and course materials.
Expenses to be paid by the resident
- Meals and incidentals while traveling: The Teacher in Residence should be prepared to pay for transport to the departure airport from their home country and any meals and incidentals required during the flight.
- Long-distance phone calls: The resident is responsible for payment for all calls made outside of the service area of the phone provided by the school.
- Local travel: The cost of all local travel outside of to/from The Bridge School is the responsibility of the resident.
- Food/incidentals: The Teacher in Residence is responsible for their personal items and for their meals.
- Additional Resources
While working within the Bridge School environment, the resident will be assigned a workspace. The resident will have access to a telephone for regular business use, as well as to a computer with applications to assist in the completion of assignments and learning activities. This includes Internet use and an e-mail address for corresponding with colleagues.
Within the Bridge School environment are a variety of technology, materials and reference resources which are available for use by the resident. Most of the items can be checked out to explore during after school/weekend times.
During the course of the residency a variety of internal/external learning opportunities are available (i.e. conferences, workshops, coursework). The resident will be expected to attend all internal training opportunities. In addition, the Director of Outreach and Technology will manage a budget that will support the Individualized Development Plan for the resident through external opportunities.