What is an Individual Transition Plan (ITP)?
A transition plan is the section of the Individual Education Plan (IEP) that outlines transition goals and services for the student. The Individual Transition Plan (ITP) is the template for mapping out long-term adult outcomes from which annual goals and objectives are defined.
An ITP is designed to:
- Address the student’s preferences, interests and needs
- Involve parent/guardian participation
- Specify a list of participants that identifies who is responsible for different aspects of the process
- Include a coordinated set of activities demonstrating use of various strategies, community and adult living experiences
- Include annual goals outlining steps and skills - Example of goals in an ITP
- Develop a plan 5 to 7 years before graduation
- Encourage coordinated efforts between agencies, service providers and vocational education and rehabilitation programs
- Delineate responsibilities of parents and students